It’s blueberry season!! My daughters and I love picking blueberries just as much as we love picking strawberries. Blueberry muffins were the first thing the girls wanted to make with our fresh-picked blueberries. While this is not a typical recipe I would post on here (as I do not consider it healthy), it is something we enjoy making occasionally (and it is blueberry season), so I thought I would share it. It is quick and simple to make. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Update 8/16/2014 – These blueberry muffins just won 2nd place in a baking contest at the Marshfield Fair in Marshfield, MA!! 🙂
To come up with this recipe, I started with a long-time favorite blueberry muffin recipe of ours which you can find here. From there, I made a few healthy modifications and came up with this:
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup coconut oil
about 1/3 cup milk
1 cup fresh blueberries
½ cup white sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup butter, cubed
1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line muffin tin with muffin liners.
- Combine 1 ½ cups flour, ¾ cup sugar, and baking powder.
- Place coconut oil into a 1-cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this into the flour mixture.
- Fold in blueberries
- Fill all 12 muffin cups evenly and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture (directions below.)
- Bake for approximately 18 minutes at 400°.
Mix together ½ cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, ¼ cup butter, and 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon. Mix with fork and sprinkle over muffins before baking.
Yield: 12 muffins