Do you want to live a more intentional life? Do you want your days to be happier? More exciting? More productive? More meaningful?
To achieve our ideal life, we must first recognize that each of us is the creator of our own reality and we are responsible for our own happiness. In each moment, we have the ability to choose love and happiness. Although we are not the master planners of our life, we have the opportunity to create our lives through intention and our daily practices.
Each morning, I begin my day writing in my journal. This practice brings me a peace that I have never experienced in any other way. When I write, I connect with my soul and I feel a deep connection to God. Writing has helped me to realize that the answers are ALL within us. We do not need to look to others or look outside of ourselves for the answers. We just need to allow ourselves to be silent and to listen.
When I do not begin my day writing, I often feel scattered and rushed, and my day often feels unproductive. When I do write and set my priorities for the day, I find that I am able to stay focused throughout the day. Throughout my years keeping a journal, I have discovered that there are a few things that I write about each morning that set the tone for my day and get me off to a great start. Specifically, there are 5 questions I find myself answering each morning:
1. What am I most looking forward to today? Life is short, and we need to make the most of each day we have here. If you want your days to be exciting, you need to make that happen. There should be something in the day ahead to look forward to every single day. Something other than your alarm clock should be getting you out of bed each morning. If nothing comes to mind right away, be intentional and come up with something to be excited about for the day. Maybe you could plan to do an act of kindness that will brighten someone’s day. I guarantee that will make your day as well!
2. What are my top 3 priorities today? List the 3 things you would most like to focus your attention on today. If you are looking to make your days more productive, I would definitely recommend setting your top priorities at the beginning of the day. I have found this practice to be especially effective in my own life. When I do not set my priorities at the beginning of each day, I find myself feeling scattered and often running around in circles. When I do set my priorities, I feel more focused, and as a result, I get much more done. Do recognize that life and distractions do happen, and even your top 3 priorities may not get completed. I find that it happens often that I don’t accomplish everything on my list, especially with it being summer and my kids are home with me. I have found that it is important to remain flexible and to think of these things as a guide for my day rather than a rigid task list that must get completed. Also, I have learned that it is important to recognize distractions as a gift, because they are. It’s great to set goals for our day to help us remain focused, but ultimately, we need to recognize that we are not the master planner of our lives.
3. What am I most grateful for right now? I personally believe that gratitude is the secret to happiness, and it is essential to spend some time in gratitude each day. It is so important to stop and recognize all of the blessings in our lives each day. We are ALL surrounded by so many blessings. Many of us take so much of what we have for granted, and we often don’t recognize the gifts in our lives until they are gone. I try to come up with something different each day, and I try to include those things that I often take for granted. (i.e. a warm bed, the cool breeze of a fan on a hot summer day, etc.)
4. What would I like to learn today? I love to learn new things! I think life is so exciting, and there are so many things to explore and learn about. We all learn new things each day, but every morning I choose something that I would like to intentionally learn how to do, or something I would like to learn more about. (YouTube makes this very easy.) I have found that this practice makes my days more exciting.
5. How could I spread love into the world today? / How may I serve? We are here on this earth to love one another and to help one another. We were all born with unique gifts and talents. They were given to us so we could use them to serve and to help make the world a better place. We need the help of others to survive, and others need us and all of the gifts we have to offer. Our actions do not need to be complicated to be effective. A simple offering of a hug or a compliment can make someone else’s day and have more of an impact than you may know.
Other ways to phrase this question might be:
- What are some acts of kindness I could do today?
- What are some things I could do to help others today?
- How could I use my natural gifts and talents to make a positive difference in the world today?
“I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy.” ~Rabindranath Tagore
If you begin your day after answering those five questions, your day will be off to a great start!
If you would like to start your days with these questions but find yourself intimidated by a blank page in front of you, I have created a Daily Planner and Journal that will ask you each of those questions. You simply need to fill in the blanks. (It is currently available on Amazon for only $3.99) This daily planner and journal prompts you to answer the 5 questions each morning so you can live your days more intentionally and more productively. It also provides a nighttime review to help you review your day and to keep a log of some of the activities that are essential in living a healthy, balanced life. Click the book cover image below to find out more about the Daily Planner and Journal.
May all your days be filled with love, excitement, learning, living, laughter, kindness, and all things good!
Peace, Love, and Blessings