The February Acts of Kindness Challenge is a challenge I began on this blog last year to help spread kindness during the entire month of February. It was such a rewarding experience for me and my family, we have decided to do it again this year! I invite you to join us and many others in spreading love and kindness all month! The guidelines are below.
When I think of the month of February, the first thing that comes into my mind is Valentine’s Day. And when I think of Valentine’s Day, I am reminded of love. So I thought it might be fun to challenge myself and my family to spread our love this month by performing at least one act of kindness each day. When I suggested the idea to my family, they were all really excited. I’m sure their excitement probably had something to do with me mentioning a reward at the end if we were able to complete it, but I know the real reward will be in the experience itself.
Act of Kindness Challenge Guidelines:
1. I have made this February Acts of Kindness Log for each member of my family to record our acts of kindness throughout the month. I printed it out for each family member and put it on the refrigerator. Feel free to download and print it out as well if you would like to keep a record of your progress. 🙂
2. Each day in February, perform at least one act of kindness and write it down on the log. My definition of an Act of Kindness is: any action you take to brighten someone’s day without expecting anything in return.
3. Share your acts of kindness with your loved ones who are also participating in the challenge, or share your ideas and inspiration on February Acts of Kindness Challenge so we can continue to support and encourage each other.
4. When the month is over, share what you learned with each other.
5. REWARD YOURSELF!! This is the most important step off all! If you are taking the challenge with others, take a vote to see how you want to reward yourselves!
I invite you to join us in this challenge and spread your love. It only takes a small act to make a big impact. Let’s make a difference together! “Like” the Facebook page February Acts of Kindness Challenge or join the Facebook support group at February Acts of Kindness Challenge to share your ideas and inspiration. 🙂
Feel free to do more than one Act of Kindness a day. Don’t be afraid to write them all down. You may already do several acts of kindness each day without even realizing it. The point here is to become aware of all the good things you already do and realize the impact it has on others. You may also want to try to take it a step further and do some things you normally wouldn’t do. When we make a small effort to brighten someone’s day out of love (not obligation), we are rewarded with happiness. Anything done out of obligation is not an act of love and will only cause you to feel resentment. It doesn’t matter whether your acts of kindness are random or intentional, but to honor your own self-care, please make sure they are performed out of love.
As you perform more acts of kindness, you may also notice yourself becoming the recipient of more acts of kindness. Learn to accept these gifts with gratitude. Many times it is more challenging for us to receive than it is to give. We may resist acts of kindness toward us because we may feel like we will owe the other person, but when you let people do nice things for you, you are actually giving them a gift.
Check out this link for some great Random Acts of Kindness ideas!
Check out this inspiring 5 minute video to see how one small act of kindness can make a big impact.
“Like” the Facebook Page The Random Acts of Kindness Foundation.
Check out the inspiring movie, The Letter Writer. It is a great reminder of the impact our actions have on others, and the difference one act of kindness can make.
Don’t forget Random Acts of Kindness week is February 9-15, 2015.
If you’re stuck for ideas, a simple way to make someone’s day is to download a Care Card from You Matter. #YouMatter is a grassroots movement that aims to promote positive mental health through acts of caring. Telling someone they matter can have a greater impact than we may know!
There are four easy steps to participate in #YouMatter:
1) Download a Care Card from the MSW@USC blog.
2) Write a message of caring, friendship or appreciation.
3) Snap a picture of your card and share on social media using the hashtag #youmatter and tag us @youmatterbc to inspire others.
4) Give the Care Card to someone and make that person’s day!
Do YOU have any kindness ideas, quotes, videos, or inspiration you would like to share? Feel free to leave them in a comment below or share them on the February Acts of Kindness Challenge Facebook support group. Thank you! 🙂